Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Darrell's reflections on the interview

It's been about a month now since we met Ms. Firestone and mostly everything has been said by my group-mates and myself. But what still stands out to me and what I haven't digested is that she said her life was saved from going on a death march. That is remarkable to me, that the "death march" saved her life, because it sent her from Auschwitz to a forced labor camp. And after being there for four months the camp was liberated by the Russians. Which to me just gets weirder, because a Russian officer tells her that his men will be pillaging so stay inside out of sight until they have moved on because if not she would probably be raped. Being raped by your liberators was a concept I never imagined. And then being released with no food, money, or extra clothes, just having the things you have at the camp and having to fend for yourself as you try to make your way back to your homeland. That to me is probably the most remarkable part of the story. Yeah you're free but things haven't really gotten any better.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there i'm not sure if anyone still up dates this or not but my name is Leisel and I was wondering if you guys or anyone you know could help me meet a Holocaust survivor. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but I love learning about the Holocaust. I love hearing stories of survivors over coming such a horrible nightmare, yet still being such wonderful kindhearted people. I have two major goals in my life; one being to travel to Poland so I can actually see the history and the second being to meet a Holocaust survivor. It would be such a blessing if you knew of someway to help me meet a Holocaust survivor. Thank you so much for your time.

    ReplyDelete