Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My reflections on preparing to meet Ms. Firestone

Last Thursday I, Darrell, met Ms. Firestone along with the rest of the members in my group. When I was first told that we would be interviewing Holocaust survivors I was a bit nervous. And then when I was told some of the problems to expect when meeting a survivor I began developing an escape plan. Just imagining calling someone or meeting with them for an assignment and them not feeling comfortable to talk about their traumatic experiences or just not being physically capable caused me to panic. I started figuring with my luck, I'd be getting swiped at by a man with a cane, telling me to get the hell out of here, how he changed his mind and didn't want to talk anymore. So once our CSUN professor Dr. Clark asked if anyone was free on Thursdays because Renee Firestone gave lectures every week at the Museum of Tolerance I jumped at the chance, figuring anyone who told their story weekly would be more comfortable sharing.

So after Karen set the date for us all to meet Ms. Firestone, and having nothing to be afraid of, I decided to try and do some research about her, to fill in any blanks she may leave in the lecture, as well as to have some guided follow up questions to ask her. After finding out there were several films about her (one of which she has very generously offered to send to us, which is awesome. I believe she said there are two copies, she has one, and Spielberg has the other), I felt unprepared for not viewing the documentary The Last Days, before our first meeting. I was however able to view some interviews of her on truveo.com. The most intriguing of these interviews was a panel that included the director of The Last Days along with Renee Firestone and three other survivors included in the documentary.
http://www.truveo.com/charlie-rose-a-panel-discussion-about-the/id/2686196323. That is the link for any interested parties. During this panel discussion/interview Ms. Firestone talks about how during the filming of the documentary she discovered that her sister was experimented on, and is actually able to confront the doctor that did the experiments. This information alone sparked my desire to hear more of her story. I remember telling Karen at the museum that I wanted to ask her more about that, but I wasn't sure it was appropriate. But luckily during the question part of the lecture she talked about it. I remember how angry and emotional I got, hearing her tell us how the doctor told her matter-of-factly that yes he conducted experiments on her sister, but they weren't anything harmful, but they had to kill her sister so she wouldn't go back into the general population and tell everyone that they conducted experiments on them. Hearing this renewed all the passion I felt the night before, thinking I need to go to Europe and find this doctor. It is insane to me that he has gotten away with this all these years. I could easily bump into this 90 plus year old man or knock his wheel chair over (if he's resigned to one) real accidental like and at the very least he'd break some bones. Ms. Firestone is clearly more forgiving than I am and I'm not even directly involved. She said hurting or killing this old man wouldn't prove anything, I believe she said all she wanted was an apology.

Lastly I just want to add a comment I saw while viewing that video clip. When I saw it I was disturbed by it. I wanted to argue against it, but I noticed it was posted in November and probably wouldn't be checked by the person it would be intended for.


NewYorkRob 11/13/2009 09:38 AM Report I find this story very hard to believe. I don't see any signs of torture. Where? And where has Ms Zisblatt been all these years? Why is she suddenly coming out now with her tale? Why should we believe her? It's over. I wasn't even born yet. Why is this being shoved down my throat?

I realize this is probably some kid with no real outlook on life or a broad perspective in the world in general so I can't condemn him too harshly. But the fact is there are adults that share this idea of why should I care? Ms. Firestone made a great point about it is relevant because at the time Germany was one of the most cultured and civilized countries in the world. So that means there is something underlying in human nature that shows we are all capable of this brutality. If you are ignorant of atrocities like the Holocaust and haven't done any kind of investigation into how things arrived at that awful conclusion then when the warnings signs show themselves again in some other avenue, you'll be completely oblivious. And on that note I'll end with two quotes: If you would understand anything, observe its beginning and its development - Aristotle, and, the past does not repeat itself, but it rhymes - Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment